There are many documented reasons why composting is good not only for the environment but also for agriculture.
Playing your part
- Increases yields.
- Improves soil tilt and structure.
- Increases water-holding capacity of the soil.
- Improves aeration.
- Provides humus / organic matter, vitamins, hormones, and plant enzymes which are not supplied by chemical fertilizers.
- Acts as a buffer to changes in soil pH.
- Kills pathogenic organisms, weeds and other unwanted seeds when temperatures of over 65° C are reached.
- Mature compost quickly comes into equilibrium with the soil.
- Different materials can be blended or mixed which can increase the nutrient content of the compost fertilizer.
If you would like to collect compost in bulk please ring Gary on 07973 894575 or John on 07973 611033 and they will give you guidance as to where to find it.
A one ton pickup is ideal, it is not safe to have members of the public filling individual bags with compost like we used to have, but if they can get together and collect in greater bulk for allotments and gardening clubs, for example then that might be practicable for all parties..